Re: Iperf max b/w

If we use regular MTU 1500B on GbE and running TCP with timestamp
option (Linux default?), the maximum TCP throughput will be 941
Mbps. It's the line rate of 1 Gbps.

I checked iperf source code and found that the number iperf gives us
is a rate at application layer, i.e. hidden overhead excluded from the
number will be TCP header and options, IP header and options, and
ethernet gap, preamble, header, and trailer. In my case, these are 32
(TCP), 20 (IP) and 38 (ethernet) bytes long.

With the same calculation, UDP will not go over 957 Mbps with MTU
1500B on GbE. If you got those numbers, I think your equipment can be
considered well tuned under that condition.

Masaki