Question on iperf versions

Looking at the iperf site, I see two versions 1.7.0 and 2.0.2 and a 'patch' for 2.0.2. I am running 2.0.1 and want to try another version. Which one is 'recommended'? Why are there two versions? The reason I want to change is I have started getting 'TCP: too many orphaned sockets' problems. When I turn off the iperf measurements, the problem disappesars. I am  running iperf for 15-20 seconds to around 10 hosts about every 30 minutes. They are run sequentially with about 90 seconds between each test. I checked the archives, but have not seen this discussed.

BY the way, I have been running 2.0.1 for some time, and this problem only started occurring recently, although I have seen it for brief stints before. Is 2.0.1 not available now for a reason?

I am running on linux and if 2.0.2 is the recommended version, should I do the patch, or have the changes been made in the 2.0.2 distribution?

Thanks, Connie
Connie Logg, Network Analyst
Stanford Linear Accelerator Center
ph: 650-926-2879
"Happiness is found along the way, not at the end of the road, and 'IF' is the middle word in life."