Re: UDP Throughput Definition

2008/2/5, Reginald Smith <rsmith --at-- sloan.mit.edu>:
> I am using iperf in a network measurement experiment and I want to know if
> for the UDP measurements of throughput/total bytes sent and received are
> header bytes from Ethernet frames, UDP, and IP included or excluded from
> throughput measurements? Thanks for any help.

This looks like a Frequently Asked Question. However I could not find
it in the FAQ. Yet?

It can be found in the list archive:
<http://www.google.com/search?hl=fr&q=site%3Aarchive.ncsa.uiuc.edu++headers+rate>

There is no portable and reliable way to know the size of the headers
of lower layers. For instance TCP and UDP can run on non-Ethernet
networks.

AFAICT, iperf does NO random guesses at lower layers. It just
precisely reports what it sees: user data transfered.